Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Happy Tenth Anniversary RSI's! (Just Kidding About the Happy Part)

photo by vladimir floyd via adobe stock photo
Today, April 20, 2016, marks the ten year anniversary of my disability and the "injury" that caused it. This was no clear cut accident with indisputable proof. No, this was the result of cumulative injury over a series of weeks and most likely months that added up to three surgeries, years of physical therapy, medications, and holistic therapies, and the loss of one terrific job. And chronic, unrelenting, soul sapping pain.

Most people are happily oblivious to the fact that computers are dangerous things. In fact, most of us spend hours each day parked in front of one for our jobs, and in the evening spend hours more keyboarding for leisure (or more work.) Without proper ergonomics and adequate rest breaks, excessive keyboarding can lead to carpal tunnel syndrome, thoracic outlet syndrome, bursitis, tendinitis, neck pain, headaches, and other discomforts. This includes keyboarding on tablets and smartphones too, which add their own unique set of injuries, such as text neck and text thumb. These maladies can become chronic. The pain may never go away. In my case, it hasn't.

I celebrated the tenth anniversary of the discovery of my RSIs with an MRI of my neck. Yes, ten years later I am still doctoring, exploring, and searching for answers on how to treat these injuries and regain the parts of my life they robbed from me. 
 
Never take for granted the ability to work at a computer station for hours and walk away without pain. If you do experience pain, listen. It's a warning that something is not right. It's easier to rest and repair RSIs when they're acute than to manage them once they become chronic. See your doctor. Obtain an ergonomic evaluation. Read up on the subject. Figure out what you're doing wrong. Go for a massage. See the chiropractor. Get some physical therapy. All of these measures can help. Don't ignore it! Otherwise you too may be celebrating a ten year anniversary with pain in an MRI suite (did I mention I hate MRIs?) 
 
To learn more about my life with RSIs please visit:

No comments: