Thursday, December 11, 2014

Today's Guest Author: Dusty Lynn Holloway

I'm in the midst of a Pubslush campaign for my next novel Swim Season and need lots of help from friends, family, just about anyone who will give me a hand. This indie publishing business is hard - the hardest thing I've ever done. To relieve a little of the stress I've enlisted the help of several of my fellow authors who will answer a few questions I've come up with about high school and varsity sports, as well as publishing and marketing tips. They'll tell you a little about themselves and their latest project.  I'll visit their blogs and do the same. This helps all of us meet new readers, and helps my readers discover new books and writers they may not know of who have great stuff. Please take a moment to visit their links. And don't forget to visit my Pubslush page and see what's going on. No swimsuit required.

Today's Guest is Dusty Lynn Holloway


Dusty lives in California with her two children who keep her very busy. She has superpowers, but doesn't like to talk about them, frequently bemoans the fact that she doesn't have See's Candy stock, thinks taking care of yourself is a way of life and not just a fad, and tries to live each day with the motto that you only get one life to live, so live it well, and live it to the fullest.

As an avid watcher of movies and reader of books, she frequently considers herself a ninja (especially around spiders), wishes that the owners of the beach house she loves would just give her the keys already, and really wants the car Kit from Knight Rider to be tucked snugly in her garage. She doesn't think he'd mind being painted blue. She writes a fantasy romance series with a paranormal twist. Her titles are Dragon Dreams, Dragon Ties, and Dragon LightWelcome to Adventures in Publishing Dusty, and thanks for helping me with the Swim Season Pubslush campaign. To get started I thought I'd ask you about high school and sports, since that's what my book is about, and then we'll move on to your writing and book projects.

Most of us have strong feelings about our high school experience. Was yours a yay or a nay? 

I had a different experience, I suppose. For most of high school I worked from home, and turned in assignments once a week. It worked better for me because I was able to avoid the noise that always was such a distraction to me in regular high school. Once I was able to eliminate that, my grades improved dramatically. 


Did you play sports in high school? If yes, which one(s) and how did it work out for you? If not, do you have children who play sports?


I didn't play anything in high school, but I have two children who love gymnastics. :)


I'm using Pubslush to help market and promote my next book. Do you have any key marketing tips for authors?


There is a lot of 'noise' in marketing. One of the best pieces of advice I have is to write well and keep at it. Often, for new writers, they are disappointed in slow (or completely absent!) sales of their first book, but book marketing is a build experience, and it often takes time. Many authors say that they started to see their sales take off only after publishing several books, and several years of hard work. 


Can you tell us about your latest project?


My latest project is a funny, time-travel Victorian romance called To Dance in the Shadows. It has a horse that thinks he's a dog, and is completely absurd, a man that everyone fears, and a women who, despite recent difficulties and pains, always tries to see the bright side of things, and always seems to find herself in trouble. Drake, Gwen and Paladin have been wonderful for me to bring to life, and I'm looking forward to people getting to know them in the near future. 


Where can we learn more about you and your books?


You can find me on quite a few social media sites. I look forward to connecting with everyone!  Thank you for inviting me to be a part of this blog, and I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season. :)


Follow Dusty Lynn:


Purchase Dusty Lynn's books:

About Dragon Dreams 


A prophecy of murder.


An elf hunted by dragons.


One man that risks everything to save her. 


Nachal is a human that should not be having prophetic Dragon Dreams. But he does. Every night he dreams of an elf running through flames, trying in vain to outrun the Rebel Dragon Obsidian. Every night he sees her fall. Sees her eyes close. Feels her heart as it slows, and then stops. Every night, through the connection of the dream, he dies with her. It's a spiral that he can't control, and it's slowly driving him insane. Auri is an elf raised by a powerful human king not of her own blood. Left behind by the mother who perished far from the elven isle El`dell, she seeks to forge her life among the humans. Her journey takes her to the land of her heritage. To a place that holds both a haunting betrayal, and a miracle that just might save her life. Together, they become embroiled in a conspiracy where destinies are intertwined, love is born in the fallout of ultimate sacrifice, and the only path to victory lies through the searing flames of dragon fire.


***Dragon Dreams is rated PG13 for thematic violence. There is no sex, swearing, or vain names. Recommended for readers 14 and up.

No comments: